Monday, October 30, 2006

A Quilt for Michelle

Marta has a lovely and charming friend named Michelle. Marta and Michelle used to work in the same company until Michelle’s husband got a new job requiring that they move to another state. Now Michelle is pregnant with her first baby coming soon. When Marta asked me to make a quilt for Michelle’s baby, I was very happy to do so, especially since Michelle’s family is far away in South Africa.

The baby is going to be a girl, so I chose pink printed fabric with complementary colors. Then I used the scraps to make a coordinating soft fabric ball. The ball is composed of twelve equilateral pentagons sewn together in a ball shape, and then stuffed with batting. (Making this toy was taught to me by one of my students, who since has moved to Japan.) This is a great toy for a small baby because it is easy to hold and fun to catch. I like to think about Michelle’s baby sitting on the quilt and playing with the ball, maybe just a few months from now.

No comments: